Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Escazu is (maybe) missionary heaven




View from Anonos

Hey everybody!
I am not even going to say how quickly this last week flew by (wasn't that ironic?).
What to say, what to say……
We are cruising. We have a LOT going on in the area. One of the highlights for me was the ward (WARD!) activity on Saturday. As a companionship we have felt that we needed to start working closer to the chapel and work more with the members. We are having a bit of a rocky start because we have ZERO investigators in that part of our area. But, you know, gots ta trust the spirit.
We decided it would be a good idea to spend a good chunk of our day helping set up and participating in the activity to help us get more confidence with the members.
The activity was a cultural event. Apparently almost all of the American families in our ward (WARD!) have also lived in other countries. So each family that has experience in different countries set up a table display with pictures and food from that country. It was really cute. They also had traditional tamales and folk dancers for Costa Rica. It was all super great.
The best part is that we met Enrique. We had actually passed him in the street about an hour before the activity started. He was enticed by the beautiful chapel we have and decided to walk in. He immediately met the bishop, who introduced him to us. Basically its been a whirlwind from there. He is incredible. He has such a hunger for the gospel, and we have a hard time keeping up with all his questions about the Book of Mormon/ the church. He said that when he passed us on the street he was on his way to go drink a beer at the bar, then go home to sleep, but that ¨something inside told him that he should go visit this church¨. He is super smart and has so many great questions. He stayed for the whole activity, but we ended up teaching him a lesson about the Book of Mormon. The next day he came to all 3 hours of church. He said he was up all night reading and that he has LOOOOOTS of questions. (I could cry from happiness).
Anyways, as you can tell, we are REAL excited.
We also work with Brandon and Donaldo (brothers) who were both baptized in the last few weeks. They take good care of us when we get too scared to walk to appointments in the ghetto at night and act as our ¨body guards¨ even though they are both green beans.
Today we went to the mall and I got super trunky. It feels like America. It even has the Gap. Escazu might be Costa Rican missionary heaven.
I am amazed how quickly I adjusted to my new area and how much I love the people so quickly. I know its such a blessing and I am becoming a better missionary every single day.
Xoxo
Hermana Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment