Thursday, July 25, 2013

Companion Profile: Hermana Escobedo



Hola friends and family,
I sometimes can´t believe how quickly time passes here in the mission. I went an entire week with out taking a single photo, and I feel like I don´t have any awesome/exciting/sad/traumatizing stories to share. How BORING! Well, I was asked to give a little more information on my companion so here it goes:
Name: Josslyn Escobedo
Age: 21
Time in the mission: 3 weeks more than me.
Does not know English, and frankly doesn´t really care to learn English. Dat´s cool.
She is super straight forward. If she doesn´t like something, she will tell you. This is both so nice and so hard. I am never left guessing, but its hard because sometimes her judgments can be a little…. Harsh. Nothing too ugly. But she will just out and say things like ¨I do not care for that person and don´t really feel like teaching them again.¨ End of conversation. 
We get along great. I wouldn´t call us besties or anything, but we don´t fight and we talk about things that are not mission related.
She is not happy in our area. This is her second area and frankly it was very hard for her to leave Alejula.  My district leader suggested that I try letting her take the reins from now on. UP to this point she has just kind of followed me around only giving input on lessons plans and investigators occasionally. We are hoping that if she is taking the lead she can get a little more LOST in the work here in Los Santos. I hope so. I want her to be happy and not just be waiting around for changes.
Her family life at home is less than ideal.  I sometimes worry about talking about my family because I am super blessed with an amazing family.  I don’t want her to feel bad or jealous if I talk about mine. But she handles it pretty well.
She is a convert to the church. She was baptized at 13, but had a ton of experience in other religions. This is AWESOME for investigators.  When they try to say things like ¨I don´t need to be baptized again, I was baptized in the Catholic church¨, she pulls out ¨oh really? So was I, and in the Evangelist church as well. But I knew this church was the only true church… so on a so forth¨. I almost love it when people try to use that card now. They take us so much more seriously when they realize that she made the decision for herself to join the church even after having experience in a lot of other religions. Her testimony that this is the only true church on the earth is super powerful and helpful. Score.
Things I love about Hermana Escobedo: She is always herself.  She is not going to ever be fake to ANYONE.  She sometimes makes my bed for me while I am in the shower. She is so great working with the members her in the branch (which to say the least can be very difficult).  She claims to hate singing, but sings to herself all morning long and sometimes even in public, I think its so funny! She tells me things that prove she really trusts me.
Up to this point I really love having a companions. (knock on wood that nothing will change) Ya, there are times it gets rough, but its fun to always have someone to talk to or to have inside jokes with.
Anyways,I am sorry if this email was boring! Let me know if there is anything specific you guys would like to hear about or see pictures of! I will try to do my homework!
Love, Hermana Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment