Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dear Claudia

Dear Claudia,
I think that you don´t even know what a big miracle you were in our lives.  First of all, I don´t think I had even spoken two words to Dalton in my life before he came to tell me he had a friend he wanted me to meet.  2 days later, we came over to the Karlinksy´s home (some of our favorite people) to meet you.  We loved you from the start.
You´re a Tica, but you prefer English.  That was actually really fun for me. I didn´t realize how hard it would be to give the lessons in my native tongue (My MTC past self is so proud) but I somehow managed through. 
Not only did you already have a copy of the Book of Mormon, but you had whipped through 1st Nephi and really enjoyed it.  We shared our testimonies with you, and I felt the strongest spirit that I have ever felt in a first lesson with anyone. It was easy to invite you to be baptized.  When we asked, I watched your face thinking about what that would mean, but without even a few seconds lost you answered yes.  I almost cried.
Fast forward exactly two weeks later (the fastest I have ever baptized someone, we even had to get special permission).
Your baptism was definitely one of my favorites on my mission.  With the help of Sister Karlinsky everything was beautiful! The music was touching , the talks where great and we even had a printed program. The spirit was strong and everyone in attendance knew you were ready.   
As you stepped into the font and Dalton raised his arm to the square I couldn´t help but feel grateful to my heavenly father to be part of your conversion experience.  If I am honest,  as missionaries, we were just a protocol. You were the most prepared investigator I have ever met.  Not only that, but Dalton usually beat us to the punch to teach you the things you needed to know before baptism.  With almost everything you had accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ before we even asked you if you were willing. Honestly Clau, you gave me a testimony that people are chosen.  I usually have to work so hard to convince people to live a better life for themselves, but with you it was easy.  Thank you for your open heart, thank you for your desire to follow your Savior, and thank you for friendship.
I look forward to be friends in the future.  I mean, OBVIOUSLY I will still be around for a while. But, I am excited to live close as you attend your first semester at BYU (is it bad luck that I am already calling it?), to send you letters and packages on your own mission (I almost passed out with excitement when you told your mom), and (if I can invite myself) see you be married in the temple, just like your blessing at confirmation said you would be.
I LOVE YOU!

Hermana Patterson 


also...

Pictures from our trip to La Sabana park nearby today for P-day

 Okay, so the first picture is actually not from today. But its another cool butterfly picture! 
The next picture is Sister Stark and I. I am sporting my new Costa Rican T. 
¨Mae¨ = Dude
Tuanis = Cool
Pura Vida = Pure life, the Costa Rica catch phrase. 


 I had way too much fun blowing bubbles and I even bought a cheap kite to enjoy for the day. Ask anyone there, I was like a child running around. 



No comments:

Post a Comment